Choquequirao Standard Trekking 4 Days
Choquequirao Standard Trekking is awe-inspiring trekking to the other Machu Picchu; that is resting practically desolate on the top of the mountain next to the Apurimac canyon. Here tourists do not arrive in comfortable trains, but real adventurers who, after days of exhausting trek, meet with the absolute silence of their mysterious Inca ruins.
Choquequirao Standard Trekking is an exciting adventure package in the region of Cusco- Peru. This 4-day trek takes you to explore the last stronghold of the Inca Empire, where you’ll admire the grandeur of its natural and cultural highlights. Relish the glory of the mighty Vilcabamba mountain range; and savor the beauty that lies in the tranquil mountains. Here is a journey to one of the less visited Inca archaeological; you will find yourself within the grandeur of amazing mountain scenery and history where you could have never felt more freedom.
Our 4-day Choquequirao Standard Trekking will let you experience the grace of Peru’s biodiversity; that lie in the region of Choquequirao; also known as the Vilcabamba Region. It provides an opportunity to experience the views of the mountain peaks of Mt. Salkantay (6,271 masl), Mt. Padreyuc (6,250 masl) and many more. You will also witness diverse species of flora and fauna and uncover the beauty of the Choquequirao region; as you pass through interesting villages. The Choquequirao Standard Trekking is truly awe inspiring trek in Peru.
Our wonderfull Choquequirao Standard Trekking begins in the zone of Capuliyoc; where we start hiking through lush subtropical forests, picturesque villages, farming lands and the great view of the Padreyuc mountain ranges. We will pass the viewpoint of Capuliyoc and descend to the Apurimac canyon. The sunrise and sunset views from Choquequirao are without equal. Ascents to the glorious mountains and descents to the deep canyon with the splendor of beautiful landscapes conspire to make this journey utterly remarkable!.
Important Details for 4-day Choquequirao Standard Trekking
- ACCOMMODATION: 3 nights camping
- TRANSPORT: All transportation by private vehicle: Cusco – Capuliyoc – Cusco.
- CAMPING GEAR: Is included all camping facilities and horses to load the equipment and your personal belongings in duffel bags that we provide.
- MEALS: All meals during the trek, prepared by our mountain chef.
- GUIDED: Services of a professional tour guide: English and Spanish.
- GROUP SIZE: Minimum 2; Maximum 10.
All departures for Choquequirao Standard Trekking are guaranteed, so once you’ve booked you can be sure you’re going! This guarantee gives you the confidence to book all of your travel arrangements and simply look forward to your holiday.
- Guided trail to Choquequirao
- Viewpoint of Choquequirao (Capuliyoc)
- Apurimac Canyon
- Watch the soar of the condors over the Apurimac Canyon
- Visit picturesque villages
- Guided tour of Choquequirao an Inca ruins
- Free time at Choquequirao Inca ruins for further exploration
- A moderate trekking since it is do it in four days
- Sunrise /sunset at Choquequirao
- Scenic walks and inspiring hikes
- LOCATION: About 4 hours drive west of Cusco
- ALTITUDE: Min. 1,500 masl – Max. 3,300 masl
- TIMING: 4 days and 3 nights
- STARTING & ENDING POINT: Cusco hotel
- LEVEL: Modearte / Challenging due to steep ascents and descents.
- ADVENTURE RATING: The Choquequirao trek is one of the better known adventure hikes around Cusco.
- ACCLIMATIZATION: Minimum 2 days at altitude (recommended).
- ACTIVITIES: 4 days trekking, 3 nights in Camping tents and guided tour at Choquequirao.
- DESTINATION: Cusco to Choquequirao in Peru.
- SINGLE SUPPLEMENTARY: US$50 (It will be up to them to apply who do not like to share the tents).
- DAILY WALK: Approximately 6-8 hours
Day 1: Cusco – Capuliyoc – Playa Rosalina camp
We leave very early from Cusco, drive our tourist car for 4 hours from Cusco to Capuliyoc and trekking down to Playa Rosalina Camp; approximately 6 – 7 hours trek
Day 2: Playa Rosalina camp – Choquequirao
After breakfast we continue trekking up to the shores of the Inca ruins of Choquequirao and watch the sunset from the Inca Terraces.
Day 3: Explore Choquequirao and walk to Camp «la Playa»:
In the morning we’ll explore the Magnificent Inca settlement of Choquequirao; our Tour guide will lead you through the most important sites; then you’ll have free time for further exploration or you can rest.
Day 4: «La Playa» camp – Capuliyoc – Cusco
Trek from the camp “La Playa” up to Capuliyoc zone from where you’ll be transferred by car to Cusco. We’ll arrive to Cusco at 7:30pm approximately.
Day to Day
DETAILED CHOQUEQUIRAO STANDARD TREKKING ITINERARY
The Choquequirao Standard Trekking includes trekking and exploration of the Inca Archaeological Complex of Choquequirao. The trekking start and ends in the zone of Capuliyoc, beyond the town of Cachora. With a plenty of time to explore this mysterious ruins of Choquequirao.
Day 1: Drive from Cusco to Cachora & trek to Playa Rosalina camp.
The four-day Choquequirao Standard Trekking stars when the staff of “Sunrise Peru Trek” will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco at 4:30 a.m. then we travel in our private car, with your tour guide for about four hours until you get to the trail’s head – Capuliyoc at 3,200 m. Here we’ll will meet the trekking team: the horses and horsemen. After you receive a short briefing and snacks given by the cook you’ll commence trekking toward the first camp.
The trekking start with gentle up for about 10 minutes up to the view point of the “Capuliyoc” from where you’ll see the deepest part of the Apurimac canyon and the trail that will lead you to Choquequirao; then the trail continues zigzag down to the village of Cocamasa a little community where we’ll rest for about 15 minutes. The views of the Apurimac canyon and the snow-capped mountains around are gorgeous.
From here the trail continues down to the community of Chiquisqha where the cook will be waiting for the group with delicious lunch; after the lunch you’ll have the option of resting and in you need water you can refill you water bottle. From Chiquisqha the trail continues down to the border of the
Apurimac River, where there is a beautiful camping site name “Playa Rosallina”; it is located at 1,500masl and it will be the lows camp on our trek. It is very important to have insect repellent since the zone is very warm here there are mosquitos but NO malarias, if you are with insect repellent everything will be ok.
Today the trek will last for about 6 hours; once in the camp at 5:30 you’ll have a hot drinks (Coffee, tea, chocolate, etc.) and at 7:00pm will be served you dinner after that your guide will give you the briefing for the following day and you can go to sleep to you tent.
- Climate: warm
- Hiking time: 6 hours
- Food Included: Lunch and Dinner
- Accommodation: Camping tents
Day 2: Trek from Playa Rosalina camp to Choquequirao.
After an early breakfast you’ll receive your snacks for the day and continue trekking toward the Inca ruins of Choqeuquirao. For few monutes the trail will continue down to the valley were we’ll find the Aprurimac River; we’ll cross a typical holding bridge over the River, which are the biggest rivers in the region of Cusco and Apurimac. This river is tributary of the Amazon River and the Amazon River goes to the Atlantic Ocean.
After we cross the bridge, the trail start a gentle climbing up for 3 – 4 hours to the village of Marampata (2,900m) where you will enjoy the beautiful landscape and the great views of the Apurimac canyon; here your lunch will served. Our cook will arrive first and waiting for you ready with a great lunch. After lunch you can rest and refill your water bottle. Here there is a nice shower with cold mountain water but the environment is very hot and this cold shower is just well deserved. Maranpata is a very nice place with flat and grassy place where you can lie on the grass and enjoy the nature of the zone
From Maranpata the trail continues undulating and sometimes zigzag up for two hours until the Inca ruins of Choqeuquirao, The trail runs through the rain forest with presences of many flowers and beautiful bromeliads, also we’ll visit the farming terraces of Paqchayoc. During the trek everyone will take his own pace.
Upon arrival to the Inca ruins of Choquequirao your tent already will be set up, and you can go to rest and leaved you belongings into the tent. After a good rest, your guide will invite to you to walk to one of the Inca terraces, from where you can enjoy the views of the deepest part of the Apurimac canyon; with luck you can see the condors overflying the canyon and the sunset which is one of the most beautiful natural highlights of this trek.
In the evening you’ll have a tea time and one hour after your hot dinner will be served in the dining room tent; after that your guide will explain you the program of the following day and then you can go to sleep in your tent.
- Climate: both cold and warm
- Hiking time: 7 hours
- Food Included: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
- Accommodation: Camping tents
Day 3: Explore the Inca site of Choquequirao and walk down to «La Playa».
Wake up early and enjoy the sunrise over the Apurimac canyon. After an early breakfast you’ll head to explore the magnificent Inca ruins of Choquequirao with your Guide. You’ll walk approximately 30 minutes to the main site of the ruins. Once you arrive, your tour Guide will begin the informative tour of this impressive Inca settlement.
The tour will last for about three hours; you’ll visit different temples dedicated to the different elements of the Mother Nature; an Inca palace, astronomical observatories, and rooms for living; also you’ll visit the Qolqas or store rooms for food and the awe-inspiring landscape. After the tour you will have free time for further exploration, and then we return to the camp for your lunch and a well-deserved rest; after your lunch you can rest or continue to explore the other sites of Choquequirao with your guide.
You also will explore amazing areas of this mysterious Inca settlement like: the Inca terraces decorated with figures of llamas; which is a steep downhill located at 30 minutes from the camp; there you’ll see a large number of narrow farming terraces. All of the llama depictions were built out of white stones, into the wall. This was most likely built by the Incas to represent the llama constellation in the Milky Way.
You will also get to visit a building known as the “Usno”; a very nice truncate pyramided which was used by priests to offer open ceremonies to the Apus or the protector spirits of the Mountains, also we’ll visit the temples of the sun, the moon, the starts and the Pachamama (mother nature), all of that buildings are made in a very fine Inca style. After all we’ll trek down to the camp of “La Playa”.
- Weather: Hot with mosquitoes
- Meals Included: Breakfast, lunch, tea time and dinner
- Hiking time: 4 hours
- Accommodation: Camping tents
Day 4: Trek from «La Playa» camp to Capuliyoc and return to Cusco.
We leave camp after breakfast to start the two to three hour climb to “Chiquisqa” community, to then make our way back to the Abra Capuliyoc, close to which we have our lunch. In the afternoon we’ll return to Cusco. On the way we’ll visit the monolith of “Saywity” located at 3,600masl from where you’ll also see the valley of Curahuasi considered the only valley where is farmed the “Anis” a nice and strong smell green color grain.. Estimated arrival time around 7:30pm.
- Weather: Hot with mosquitoes
- Meals Included: Breakfast and lunch
- Hiking time: 6 hours
The times cited in this itinerary are approximate. Walking times depend on the group and the guide can change lunch spots and campsites, depending on the progress of the group. Each guide has their own preferred route and it might not correspond exactly to the route described here. However the most important highlight of this trek, is to explore the mysterious Inca settlement of Choqeuquirao
CHOQUEQUIRAO STANDARD TREKKING INCLUDES.
- Pre-trek briefing one night before the trek
- Pick-up from your hotel in the morning of trek departure
- Transport from Cusco to Capuliyoc, the trailhead in private car and the returning way
- Entrance fee to Choquequirao Inca archaeological site
- English-Quechua-Spanish speaking professional guide (you will have an assistant guide for groups over 8 people)
- Tents – 2 people in a 4-person capacity tent which allows for greater comfort, and also storage of backpacks.
- Air mattress for a greater comfort during the trek
- Chef and cooking equipment (Assistants are provided for large groups)
- Toilet tent
- Meals as specified in the program (optional vegetarian food). Our professional Chefs prepare meals that incorporate elements of the western diet and also traditional Peruvian delicacies (Please communicate with your guide/chef during the trek if you have a preference for certain types of dishes). Salads, if served, are washed in boiled water.
- Horses (for equipment and personal items) including horsemen. They carry camping gear, food and
- kitchen gears. We provide duffel bags at your briefing for your personal items and sleeping bag (up to 6 kg per person).
- 1 emergency horse which can be ridden if you are feeling ill
- Dining tent with camp tables and chairs & kitchen tent for the chef to prepare meals
- Tents for our staff to sleep in
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Breakfast on the first morning in the town of Cachora
- Dinner on the last night upon your arrival to Cusco
- Sleeping bags – if you haven’t got a sleeping bag or you don’t want the hassle of bringing one all the way to Peru with you, then we have sleeping bags for hire.
- Tips for the guide, chef and horseman
What to Bring
YOU SHOULD BRING FOR CHOQUEQUIRAO STANDARD TREKKING
- A light daypack with a change of clothes for the whole period of the trek – prepare for a vast range of changes in temperatures.
- Rain gear (jacket and pants if available) or rain poncho. Plastic ponchos can be bought for about $1 in Cusco.
- Strong footwear, waterproof trekking boots recommended. Extra socks are a must.
- Sandals or plastic slip on thongs are also good to give your feet a chance to breath in the evenings if you wish to carry them.
- Warm clothes, including jacket, fleeces, gloves, scarf.
- Thermal clothing is also recommended, especially for sleeping.
- It you get hot in the Apurimac Canyon; you should also be prepared for hot conditions on this trek.
- Sleeping bag (we can hire these to you)
- Torch/ Flashlight and spare batteries
- Camera, films and batteries (batteries consume more quickly under cold conditions).
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun, rain and cold
- After-sun cream or hydrating cream for face and body
- Insect repellent – minimum recommended 20% DEET – although no malaria risk has been reported.
- Toilet paper, pack in & pack out
- Snacks: biscuits, energy bars, chocolate, raw fruits, muesli, etc.
- Non-disposable canteen (Nalgene type) and water for the first morning
- We advise you to bring water sterilizing tablets in case you collect water from streams.
- Your own medical kit with special medications that you might require, paracetamol, second skin for blisters and more
- Small towel or sarong
- Cash – sufficient for tips and souvenirs, or any drinks or snacks you might want to buy along the way.
- Original passport & ISIC (International Student Identity Card) if you have one
- Walking sticks or poles (we can hire these to you).
- Binoculars (if you have them)
Terms & Condition
THE TERMS AND CONDITION.
- This is basic terms and conditions to send inquiries to Sunrise Peru Trek
- It is not commitment that you have to book tours, trekking, expedition or any other service with Sunrise Peru Trek. There are not any service charges for inquiries.
- This is general inquiry. When you accept terms and condition of Sunrise Peru Trek, it means you accept to send inquires to Sunrise Peru Trek and you agree to receive information of tours, trekking and other services provided by Sunrise Peru Trek.
- Please kindly inform us, if you are inquiring information or quotation for promotion or business propose. Please inform us, if you are travel agency, tour leader or other organization to propose for group.
- You are permitted to send as many inquiries to finalize tailor-made itinerary as per your desired holiday (date, route, type services, standard of accommodation, etc). In case of fixed itinerary, you have to be convinced as per groups plan.
- You will be bounded terms and condition of cancelation charges, amendment charges once you make final decision to book services with Sunrise Peru Trek.
RESERVATION PROCESS AFTER FINAL DECISION TO BOOK SERVICES WITH US:
You need to provide us follow personal detail, information of flight (arrival at Cusco and departure from Cusco), Photocopy of passport and photographs.
- First Name:
- Family Name:
- Passport No.:
- Date of Birth:
ARRIVAL AND DEPARTURE DETAIL:
- The Arrival Date and time:
- Flight No.:
- Departure Date:
- Departure Time:
- Flight No.
- We will procedure for necessary booking of services required for your trip.
- Send you information of availabilities of services.
- We will send you final confirmation of tour.
BOOKING DEPOSIT AND PAYMENT:
We kindly request with all our client to make payment 40% total bill as booking deposit at the time of booking made. Once you decided to book the trip with us, we will give you our bank account. The balance invoice of your booking to be paid on your arrival at Cusco; You will pay us in cash.
Choquequirao Standard Trekking Video
Additional Detail for 4-day Choquequirao Standard Trekking
Weather for Choquequirao Standard Trekking
4-day Choquequirao Standard Trekking is an epic multiple day journey through the mountain of Peruvian Andes. The Weather in the Andes is really unpredictable at times and can change very quickly from sunny, to rainy and back again.
Dry season (April to November)
- Day temperature of 20 º C / 35 º C
- Night temperature 5 º C / 10 º C
Rainy season (December – March)
- Day temperature 17 º C / 22 º C
- Night temperature 0 º C / 7 º C